Saturday, February 03, 2007

Fishing At Cloughton Wyke

cloughton for those big yorkshire winter cod
Report From Martyn Wilding

Flushed with Friday's success, I opted to try for a piggy yesterday - went to Cloughton in search of a cod of the Ramrod stamp, but finished up with a few Kirpatrick-esque antics.

Arrived about 8pm, conditions looked good in the back of the wyke - nice swells rolling in, but good black water. Got a 3lber first cast, followed by a mop next cast - put both back. then as I was rebaiting, I turned round just in time to see the massive swell that swamped me!! Didn't have my waterproof on at the time, so whole of my left side got soaked, including what must have been a gallon down the chesties. Rod got swilled up the beach, rest went down the beach & bag fortunately stayed where it was - oddly enough when wave went back I found that in blind panic I'd held onto only my bucket, which contained virtually nothing of value!!

Retrieved my rod just as a second swell did similarly, & had just about given the rest up as lost, but fortunately it'd lodged amongst some rocks!! Only thing missing was my bucket lid (which washed back up 5 mins later).

After that, my dampened enthusiasm only lasted for another 2 or 3 casts, & this plus no more bites meant I packed up around 930. Should really have stayed for the ebb, but clothes were showing no signs of draining!! Couple of good things was it wasn't too cold, & that neoprene socks have proved that they're probably the best thing since sliced bread - although my left leg/ foot were soaked though, & I could feel water squelching about in the boot, my foot never felt wet or cold!! My sock was saturated, though!!

Probably going back out tonight - hope the session's a bit longer & dryer than last nights!!

Mart

Full report and comments at

Cloughton Wyke Cod Fishing


cloughton wyke cod fishing

No comments: