Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Whitby Scars

Flounder fishing whitby scars near Saltwick BayAfter hearing about my mate Paul Lobley's encounter with a big bass whilst fishing at Cowbar cliffs I headed out onto a local rock mark at Whitby scars in search of a bass. For the first 3 casts of the night the rod never even moved - not a sniff, so I had a little walk further towards Whitby. Due to limited time I only had 2 more casts and both resulted in good sized flounder but no bass - maybe my theory of the bigger bass frequenting the shallow rock marks is wrong, or perhaps I need to try at different states of tide.

Whitby piers taken from Saltwick nab

Whilst returning to the car I noticed the Whitby inshore lifeboat heading into Saltwick corner near Saltwick nab so I stopped and watched for a while. I first I thought they were practising but then noticed they had picked 3 lads up off the rocks at the back of Saltwick scars. Judging by the tide state its is my guess they must have been stuck there since low water this morning which would have been around 10am. With the time when I saw them being 7 PM they must have been stuck in the back of there for some time - How frightening, especially with the swell in the water as it was today.

Whitby lifeboat at Saltwick nab

Whitby Inshore Lifeboat Making a rescue at Saltwick Bay

Whitby Lifeboat

No comments: